About Me

This blog follows my journey while drinking my way through the Post Office Vault's beer passport taking in 200 beers from around the world

Thursday 30 May 2013

Oude Geuze from Boon

Continuing on my Tuesday night antics with an Oude Geuze from Boon.

Now this is the first lambic beer that I have come across in my 200 beer quest and a bit of research shows that lambics come from a valley in Belgium where they expose the beer early on to the air in order to take advantage of natural yeasts. This means they don't need to add brewers yeast like other beers. Geuze is apparently the type of beer and oude means old, this means they haven't added anything to the beer to make it sweeter which has apparently come into fashion to try and open these kind of beers up to a wider market.

On pouring I notice that it is very fizzy, giving quite a head. the barman describes it as "full of life". The taste is very nice at first, quite light and not very hoppy with plenty of fizz. Towards the end it gives a very bitter, almost vinegary sour acidic flavour which I am not a great fan of, I guess this is why some people add those sweeteners. Overall its nice and a little different to most beers you get. 3.5 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I certainly didn't love it, but maybe if I kept drinking them I could learn to appreciate it.

      Delete