About Me

This blog follows my journey while drinking my way through the Post Office Vault's beer passport taking in 200 beers from around the world

Friday 25 April 2014

Aecht Schlenkerla Doppelbock

So here is a list of things that I like that taste of smoke:

Smoked bacon
Smoked mackerel
Smokey bacon flavoured crisps

Something that I have found that I certainly don't like is smoked beer. This brewery, http://www.schlenkerla.de/rauchbier/beschreibunge.html, make smoke flavoured beer. They do it by some German trickery which involves drying the malt using smoke then aging it in smoked oak barrels. The result is certainly smokey. When I first tasted it I wasn't expecting it, I was pretty drunk and my mother had been to the bar so I wasn't sure what I was getting, but the smokey flavour overwhelms everything else and is a real shock. At first I thought "this is amazing" it's different and full of an unusual flavour but still beer. By the time I was half way through I was struggling, by the time I was three quarters of the way through I felt like I was drinking from an ash tray. I'm glad I tried it, I can understand why people love it, it's just too smokey for me. 2 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment