About Me

This blog follows my journey while drinking my way through the Post Office Vault's beer passport taking in 200 beers from around the world

Sunday 27 April 2014

Paulaner Salvator

When I went to the bar to order this the barman told me the tale of this beer. Apparently it used to be brewed by monks, and they liked drinking it so much that that just got wasted on it all the time and didn't do any of their monk duties. The pope got wind of this and demanded that a sample be sent to him to judge whether this was a good use of the monks time. So they shipped a crate to him across the alps, fortunately for the monks they did it during the summer and it was hot on the journey. By the time the beer had got to the Pope it was well past its best and the Pope declared it was fit for the monks as drinking it was a more of a punishment than anything else. Whether this is true or whether the barman made it up I have no idea, I can't see anything about it on the Paulaner website.

Anyway the beer itself is a dark dobbelbock style beer and I found it to be very nice.Its quite malty and not too overpowering. All in all its certainly worth a try and a nice beer. 4 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment