About Me

This blog follows my journey while drinking my way through the Post Office Vault's beer passport taking in 200 beers from around the world

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Flying Dog - Gonzo Imperial Porter

Now before we start this I will talk a little about my feelings on really dark ales like porters. Basically I am not normally a fan, my experience of stouts and porters hasn't been good. I find they normally taste of burnt, maybe with a bit of coffee flavour (I don't like coffee either). This came to a head while visiting Dublin and taking the tour of the Guinness store room. Everybody tells you Guinness is soooo much better in Ireland so I was looking forward to having my mind changed. I got to the top of the building and sipped my pint, it was just as horrible as every other Guinness I had had anywhere else. Safe to say I wasn't looking forward to my porter, an offering from Flying Dog called Gonzo Imperial Porter.

I was pleasantly surprised, while it did have a little bit of the burnt aftertaste that I so dread from a beer like this overall it was full of flavour and perfectly acceptable. 3 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. are you going for a beer a day?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I actually have quite a few to put on, I am somewhat behind.

    ReplyDelete