About Me

This blog follows my journey while drinking my way through the Post Office Vault's beer passport taking in 200 beers from around the world

Wednesday 3 April 2013

The first night.

So having picked up my passport I turned randomly to a page and selected my first beer. For this I choose Anchor Steam Beer, no. 187. It had made its way all the way from San Fransisco where they have some special brewing technique that is part larger part ale or something. the bottle it came in was very pretty but sadly this was the highlight of this beer. I found it to be bland and unappealing. I described it at the time as like drinking a glass of brown water, not a great start. 1 out of 5.

To try and redeem American brewing I choose my second beer to be the Brooklyn Brewery Larger, no. 188. I'd had this a few times before on draft around time and liked it then so was hopeful. It was exactly what I expected, fresh, sharp, tasty. All in all a very good larger, certainly a cut above what you get on draught at most places. 3.5 out of 5.

Finally I went for something that I had never heard of before a De Koninck from Duvel Moortgat. As a Belgian beer it delivered deep taste and was much darker than the previous two beers. Overall it was very nice without being special. It also came in its own lovely glass but I found the white hand they use as their symbol a little reminiscent of fascist imagery, whereas my girlfriend said it reminded her of Saruman from Lord of the Rings. However it was certainly the best beer of the night. 4 out of 5.

With these 3 done I moved on.

No comments:

Post a Comment